*Make sure to feed your starter 6-8 hours in advance you need a strong ripe starter for this recipe.
Yield 15 donuts
80g neutral oil (I prefer avocado oil)
85g sugar (I tested the recipe with sugar in the raw)
300g bread flour
225g all-purpose flour
190g ripe sourdough starter
3 large eggs
- Place all ingredients in mixer and mix for 5-8 minutes on high speed.
- Transfer the dough from mixer to a (non-stainless-steel) bowl, cover and leave to rise at room temperature for 10 hours.
- After 10 hours using a bench knife, cut the dough in to 65g portions and form balls.
- Lay flat on a lined sheet pan, cover and place in fridge 5-24 hours.
- On the following day, remove from fridge 5-7 hours before frying and allow to rise at room temperature.
- Prepare a cooling rack with paper towel underneath next to the frying station.
- Using a candy thermometer, preheat the oil to 350°. [I like to use refined coconut oil since the refined coconut oil doesn’t give a coconut flavor, if not, I recommend any high heat neutral oil, such as avocado or vegetable oil].
- Fry for 1.5-2 minutes on each side.
- Once done place on the prepared cooling rack and let it cool before sprinkling with powdered sugar
- Before serving sprinkle with powdered sugar
Some helpful tools for this recipe.